Workshop description, about the instructor
As the only educator authorized by Stephen Few to teach his foundational courses, Nick Desbarats has taught data visualization and dashboard design to over 1,000 professionals in ten countries at organizations such as NASA, Bloomberg, and The United Nations. Nick will be teaching these courses in an open-registration workshop for the first time in Canada in Ottawa in January 2018. This three-day workshop will consist of the Show Me the Numbers and Information Dashboard Design courses.
Show Me the Numbers
Based on Stephen Few's popular book of the same name, the Show Me the Numbers: Designing Tables and Graphs to Enlighten course teaches participants the principles and practical best practices needed to design tables and graphs that are clear, easy to understand, and that don't accidentally misrepresent the underlying data.
Information Dashboard Design
Based on Stephen Few's acclaimed book of the same name, the Information Dashboard Design: Displaying Data for At-a-Glance Monitoring course teaches participants the principles and practical best practices needed to design information dashboards that enable users to visually scan large amounts of information quickly, and that make problems and opportunities obvious.
Who should attend
Workshop participants include software developers and designers, journalists, marketers, human resources professionals, researchers, graphic designers, data/financial/business analysts, health care professionals, technical writers, senior executives and others who regularly need to communicate data to internal or external audiences.
Both courses are based on landmark research from the fields of data visualization, human perception, and pedagogical science, as well as decades of real-world senior business experience. Workshops are highly interactive, consisting of engaging presentation segments interleaved with frequent group exercises and discussions to ensure deep understanding and long-term retention of key concepts. Space is limited in order to allow for a high degree of personal interaction and feedback, and early registration is recommended.
Registration fee includes:
- Attendance at all three workshop days
- Copies of Stephen Few's books Show Me the Numbers (2nd Edition) and Information Dashboard Design (2nd Edition) for each participant
- Lunch, coffee breaks, on-site parking
- For more detailed information regarding who should attend, key topics covered, etc., please see the Show Me the Numbers and Information Dashboard Design detailed course information pages.
- If three or more employees of your organization will be registering for this workshop, please contact email@example.com to obtain a group discount code for use when registering.
- Each workshop day runs from 9am to 5pm, with a mid-morning break, catered lunch, and mid-afternoon break.
- No computers will be used during the workshop and attendees do not need to bring anything, although many attendees bring a pen and pad or notebook.
- Refunds will be issued if requested more than 30 days prior to the beginning of the workshop, minus a $75 processing fee.
- Paid registrations may be transferred to another attendee up to 48 hours prior to the beginning of the workshop by notifying firstname.lastname@example.org .
The workshop will be held in the state-of-the-art Barrick Salon at The Canadian Museum of Nature. The museum is wheelchair-accessible.